Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BirthCare Visit

Recently I got to experience my first baby related appointment. Ever since Ty's birth I have been dreaming and hoping for the opportunity to deliver our next child in the comfort of our own home. In Florida, we knew the right people and midwife that could make that happen. Well needless to say, we are no longer in Florida and do not have those people to rely on any more. So since we moved, and long before we found out I was pregnant I have been researching and calling around to find a midwife that would be willing and able to come to our home to deliver our child for us. I met with a few early on but for each of them I was out of their radius of travel. To make matters worse, not only was I not finding one to come to the house, the ones that were local did not have an actual birthing center, we would have to go to the hospital with them for the birth ... Boooo!!

Well finally after months of searching I found a midwife organization that has not just one but six midwifes and would actually be able to travel to my home for the delivery. I went to their information session were the get to meet and greet couples that could potentially be new patients and share information about their practice and home births in general. I was so glad that attended, they offered everything I was hoping and praying for. You can check them out whenever you like, they are called BirthCare Center out of Virginia.

The only concern that Chris has, which is completely valid is that their office is located in Virgina, we are in Maryland and for each of the regular check ups leading to the birth I would have to go to their office.They will come to the home for the birth, but not for the regular appointments. I took the metro when I went recently and it was about an hour and fifteen minute ride, each way. And considering that I was on bed rest so much with Ty, and that will more than likely happen again, I would still need to travel to them. Chris doesn't like me traveling that far, alone, and pregnant. And I agree.

All that to say, I love them, but we have to keep our options open. I am not going to begin looking into the local midwifes to see what birthing in the hospital is really like ... what does that mean ... and how involved is the hospital staff. Fingers crossed that it works out to be the same experience we had at the birthing center last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment