Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ty Can Talk

Did I tell you that my son can communicate with us?

Okay so he isn't speaking actual words yet but Chris and I, along with the support and help from all the lovely ladies who take care of him while we work, have successfully taught him several baby signs. Ty has not only learned but perfected the use of the words 'Please' and 'Thank You.' He also has 'Hello' and 'Good Bye' down but uses them very selectively.
All of Ty's signs learned so far.
  1. Please
  2. Thank You
  3. Hello
  4. Good Bye
  5. More
  6. What is that (Pointing)
  7. Excitement (Clapping and moving feet quickly) 
Right now I have set myself a goal of introducing at least two new signs to him each week. Now I understand that teaching them does not mean that he will automatically pick them up and start using them right away. But the more we teach and show him the faster he will start to pick them up.

It is so fun watching him learn, and I know that he feels and experiences the sense of accomplishment when he learns them also. You an almost see the pride in his little smiling face when he does a sign and we respond to it. He feels so much better knowing that he actually communicated with us a need or desire he had.

I can't wait to see how much this help his further development. And I can already see him encouraging his little sister (or brother) to learn the signs also. How fun!!!

While we haven't used the program mentioned in this video, I found that this is a good explanation of the benefits of teaching our babies signs for communication.

1 comment: