Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Our 3rd Prenatal Visit

We are in the 2nd trimester and about 4 weeks ago we had our 2nd prenatal visit. Well, what felt like the longest 4 weeks in our lives finally came and we had our 3rd prenatal visit. We were all excited like kids waiting for Christmas. We had all our documents in order, like Phil always has. We had all the questions we wanted to ask. I mean, we had 4 weeks to think about them. Plus, every day we are watching the Discovery Health channel and baby stuff, so we always seem to have questions there and all we do then is write them down. And we were off. Appointment was at 9am.

So we got there, checked in, and waited to see the doctor. While waiting, we are racking our brains for other questions we might have missed or just thought of. Also, we are playing with the kids in the waiting room. Cute. Finally, we are in! I wait in the room while Phil goes off and does her vitals and stuff and comes back. The doctor...or wait, she was a Nurse Practitioner, comes in and we were like, wait a second, you're not the person we have been seeing! I guess people are allowed to have a day off too. But this NP was pretty down to earth and cool. She was lively and made us feel very comfortable and when we brought out our note pad with many questions, she just sat back and said shoot let's hear the questions. She likes questions :) All in all, we got all our questions answered and we were good.

Finally she said the words we have been waiting for for like 4 weeks, LET'S HEAR THAT BABY'S HEART BEAT. YYYEEESSSSS!!!! Finally :)

So she pulls out her Doppler, squeezes the cold gel on Phil's stomach and we were off. At first nothing. She reassures us that sometimes when the baby is positioned in a certain way, it's sometimes difficult to hear off the back. But then, there was the very familiar and welcoming sound we have come to just love, our baby's heart beat. There it was, thumping away interrupted by whooshes and knocks and cracks. I just thought that it was the Doppler, but the NP said, wow you have an active baby. All those the sounds along with the heart beat was the sound of our little one moving around. I guess he didn't care to be bothered. And I say he, because well we don't know yet, and I refuse to say it.

I took a video which I hope you can hear the NP as she explains the different sounds you hear from the Doppler. You'll hear the baby's heart, the baby's movement, and she showed us the difference between the baby's heart beat and Phil's heart beat which you heard through the placenta.

So, the next prenatal visit is in *sigh* another 4 weeks and very shortly after that we'll have the longer more detailed ultrasound to measure the baby and see what we are having. EXCITED!!!

In the mean time, take our poll. What do you think we are having? Boy or Girl?

Ok, here is the video. Enjoy.


Peace Out Folks
Chris C

5 comments:

  1. So wait for the day when the dr. says, "Oh, that's the sound of your bowels." LOVELY!!!

    On the serious note, so glad all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that's groos. Thanks Mel. I just hate waiting so long each time to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, but soon the baby will start moving and it'll be even more fun! You'll be poking at him/her. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! My name is Rebecca and I stumbled upon your blog earlier and it convinced me to start my own! I'm 15 weeks along with my first child and I wanted to blog about it also. My question is how do I get a cute layout like yours?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tinkerbellsuger, sorry just came across your comment now. If you look at the top left corner of my blog you will see a logo titled 'TheCutestBlog'. That takes you to a website that gives you plenty of options to choice from. If you have blogger also it is really easy to add to your own blog

    ReplyDelete